Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Something I like...

Will Hunting to some schmuck in a Cambridge Bar: See, the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you're gonna staht doin some thinkin on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certaintees in life. One, don't do that. And Two, you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a fuckin education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges at the public library.



My favorite thing in the world the past year has been the Louisville Free Public Library (lfpl.org), especially the St. Matthews/Eline branch. I have read over 60 books this past year, over 90% of them have come from the library system in Louisville. My total charges in late fees in that time: $1.10, and that was simply because I had gotten two movies (yes, movies) and did not realize they were due in 7 days instead of the normal time.

To make matters even better, the LFPL's website allows me to search the catalog and to request books. When I request these books, once available, the library sends them to the branch of my choosing (St. Matt/Eline), and I walk in, hand them my card, and get my books. I have not spent more than two minutes in the library in a single trip yet. It is so easy that a Gieco spokesperson could do it.

At this point in my life I have no idea why anyone buys books and why so few people use their local libraries. So, my recommendation is for you to go to your local branch of the library, get a card if you need one, and use the library for all of your book needs.

I realize this post ... other than the cussing in the quote to start things ... is written like a third grade report on the library. I apologize. I just worked 11 hours in the sun and do not feel like writing. However, I did make the post, so .. yay. I have a feeling this will be my feelings a lot in the coming fall.

1 comment:

Jay Schulkin said...

Ha
This is the second blog post written by grown men that i have read in the past two days marveling at libraries. You two are such n00bs. But at least you figured it out eventually.
p.s. welcome to blogging