Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Welcome to the team...

When I was spending my semester on the west coast ... ok it was supposed to be two years, but deal with it ... I decided to join the ultimate frisbee team. Well, I walked by the table and lustily watched two people throw what I later learned to be flicks and hammers and scubers and was noticed by a nice guy named Shy. He saw I was tall and had a propensity to play sports and recruited me to play. The guys taught me a lot, I had a blast, and when I came back east I asked my awesome hippie friend, who is female, to talk to the boys captain about me becoming a member of their team (wow what a horrendous sentence).

So after a few facebook messages, and a long drive across the country, I showed up at the first practice of the spring for my tryout. Since tryouts are in the fall, I would simply practice with the team. I knew absolutely no one. So as I arrived I was thankful to see my wonderful hippie friend. I yelled her name, she turned, saw me, and sprinted at me. As she jumped into my arms excitedly the entire boys team looked at me with the same thought ... "who the fuck is this guy?" Well, the captain realized I must be the idiot who had been messaging him and talked to me and got me warmed up and introduced to the team.

To say I was nervous was to say a sperm whale has decent sized genitalia. We set up in a box drill, the first throw came to me ... I caught it. I threw it back straight and to my person ... which was rare in those days. No one was impressed. The nest throw to me was out in front ... I dived ... I caught it and had another good throw. A few eyebrows were raised ... who dives for the disc in a drill? The next throw was a replay of the one before. I dived again. I caught the disc. My shorts and boxers (why did I forsake the spandex?) slid to my knees. The Fourth Dimension (yes my penis is named the Fourth Dimension) flopped in the wind and I rolled to cover, exposing my bare ass to my entire new team. I call them my new team, because with that brilliant view of my pasty ass I was on the team. I pulled up my pants and threw the disc. I caught eyes with a few of the guys and they just started laughing.

And that my friends ... is how you make an introduction.

No comments: