Saturday, September 6, 2008

I went to the doctor n'guess what he told me, guess what he told me

The person of the week this week is a blast from the past. Allow me to reintroduce to you ... Sinead O'Connor. Now you are probably thinking: "Isn't that the bald chick who ripped up a picture of the pope on SNL?" It sure as hell is. O'Connor is one of the few people who took a stand against an injustice in the world and allowed it to cost them their career. However, I do believe she would do it again in a heartbeat.

Raise your hand if you know why she ripped up a picture of the pope. Did you know she was protesting the abuse of children by Catholic priests? This was the early 90s. The "scandal" hit the news around the year 2000 (1999-2002?), yet obviously people knew about it before then, it was just covered up. Granted, O'Connor could have picked a better way to protest than ripping up a picture of the pope ... like, I don't know, talking about it every chance she got. Unfortunately, her message was lost and we just remember the "atrocity" of her ripping up the picture.

Well, it turns out Sinead O'Connor was correct. She probably deserves an apology from the mainstream media and a huge pop comeback, but it won't happen. I will just do my best to tip my hat to her and wish her the best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOT AT 2:22AM OWNED you suck at life. john hates you btw.

Whale Cancer said...

Way to go to class today ... I must have wrote this one in the morning and not the night before... oh wells