Friday, May 29, 2009

The Architect

Took a Jung Typology Test today because it had been awhile since I took one. Once again I got the same result: INTP. Take the test here if you want.

So what does INTP mean?

I is for introvert. While many people who know me always joke with this, it is always true. I really enjoy having time to myself and spending time with a small group of people rather than a large group or party. Probably part of the reason why when I get trapped in situations for days at a time with no alone time I tend to get cranky. I had a 56% preference for introversion, which was classified as moderate.

N is for intuitive. The other scale for this is sensing, but I only had a slightly expressed (12%) intuitive personality according to the test.

T is for thinking, which is on a scale with feeling. I moderately expressed a thinking personality with 50% preference.

P is for perceiving. I had a moderate (33%) preference for a perceiving personality over judging.

INTP's are called "Architects" because they tend to be rational, reserved, and very analytical. According to the descriptions offered by the website is that Architects (INTP):
  1. Are rare - maybe one percent of the population
  2. Tend to see distinctions and inconsistencies instantaneously, and can detect contradictions no matter when or where they were made
  3. Regard all discussions as a search for understanding, and believe their function is to eliminate inconsistencies, which can make communication with them an uncomfortable experience for many
  4. Are ruthless pragmatists about ideas
  5. Are insatiably curious
  6. Are driven to find the most efficient means to their ends, and they will learn in any manner and degree they can
  7. Will listen to amateurs if their ideas are useful, and will ignore the experts if theirs are not
  8. Not impressed by authority derived from office, credential, or celebrity
  9. Often seem difficult to know
  10. Are inclined to be shy except with close friends, and their reserve is difficult to penetrate
  11. Are able to concentrate better than any other type
  12. Prefer to work quietly at their computers or drafting tables, and often alone
  13. Become obsessed with analysis, and this can seem to shut others out
  14. Prize intelligence
  15. Can seem arrogant and may show impatience with others who have less ability, or who are less driven
  16. May venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them
  17. Will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off
  18. Relatively easy-going and amenable to almost anything until their principles are violated, about which they may become outspoken and inflexible
  19. Spend considerable time second-guessing themselves -sense that one's conclusion may well be met by an equally plausible alternative solution, and that, after all, one may very well have overlooked some critical bit of data
So what do I think of this analysis of myself? Everyone likes to feel unique, so I obviously agree with 1. 2 is on the money, because I will flip out when there are typos on notes or tests, often correcting the mistake on my test even though it will never be read. 3 is kind of true. I generally am trying to understand something about people when I talk to them instead of just listening, but at the same time I am not great at paying attention to what people say sometimes.

4 and 5 are true. I really like theory and ideas more than I like application. I have been known to sometimes read through wikipedia for a few hours just going from one theory or historical page to another. I think 6 is true in the sense that I hate busy work or doing anything that is just a chore or something to do. I want whatever I am doing to actually matter.

7 is very true in that I don't give a crap who came up with an idea if it is good. I think too often we look to "experts" to solve our issues when really an amateur can sometimes come up with an idea easier. This eaily ties into 8 as far as my views on authority. I don't just listen to authority, it needs to prove it deserves my respect and attention.

I have a hard time knowing myself sometimes, so I assume 9 is true. 10 is really true for me and when I try to overcome it and be more social ... 3 can come out to play a lot. 11 is false as of right now with the whole ADD thing. If that proves to be a fatigue or sleeping issue then maybe it will be true. I used to be able to lose myself in thought and a book and I'd be hard to reach. Now I cannot read a chapter without zoning out, forgetting what I read, or falling asleep. Anyone who sees me study knows 12 is true.

I'm not sure about 13. I like analysis I guess, obsessed seems a bit much and I hope I don't shut people out because of this? 14 is true for sure. 15 can be true in my own head, but I think I do a good job understanding it and not letting it show ... except when I am tired. When I have taught I never got frustrated with students, except when I thought they were being lazy (but I never said that to them and tried to help them). When I coach or play a sport I really do get frustrated with teammates who make mistakes over and over. I usually mumble under my breath about it and then try to encourage them ... or ignore them. So maybe this is truer than I thought.

I am not sure 16 is fully true. I can zone out with the best of them and may have walked into a tree once or twice .. but.... ok. I hate to admit I do 17, but not too often. But I generally do it when I think I am just teasing someone. I bet that is annoying though. Yikes.

18 is classic me. I will rarely get upset about something. However, when you "violate my principles" I become a stubborn jackass and get seriously angry. Apologies generally caclm me down, but don't let me forgive.

19 is true, but I think it is true for most people. Everyone second guesses themselves I feel. The data part is very true in that I always worry I am missing something or make a decision based on information that I have, but it isn't the whole story. Who knows.

So do I agree with INTP? Of course I do. You take a test, it tells you what you are and you can read into it as much or little as you want. I do basically everything they said to at least some extent and a good number describe me perfectly. That said, I take these descriptions with a grain of salt. I (or anyone else) cannot be fully summed up in a test and a few paragraphs.

Unless it is that I don't know myself well enough to be correct ... oh but there I go second guessing myself again haha. Take the test and let me know about yourself!

No comments: