Sunday, May 24, 2009

One more for the road

She looked at me and said "sorry" before turning and walking out of my life forever. I sat in my chair, sweaty glass in my hand, and watched her leave.

"Hey!" I yelled across the sparsely crowded room. "You know what I always liked about you?"

She slowed down and began to turn. My heart skipped a beat. I knew that everything depended on my next word.

"Nothing!" I cackled as I finished my drink.

Her response was typical. She lifted her head up and walked defiantly out of the room with all eyes on her. Except mine.

I stared at my shoes through the bottom of my empty glass. When I looked back up, the room stared back.

The little old lady across from me shook her head and asked, "What do you have to say for yourself?"

I looked back at the bottom of my glass. "I think I need another drink..."

No comments: