Friday, June 5, 2009

I wear sandals, not flip flops

Today I want to review a story I talked about a while ago based on this article. ESPN ran an update on the story here.

Elena Della Donne left UConn's basketball program after approximately two days last summer. She cited burnout and headed back home to Delaware to play volleyball instead of basketball. She had a successful year as a volleyball player, but now is returning to basketball and will play her next four years at Delaware.

She now admits that she wasn't burnt out and was merely homesick. She still has WNBA and Olympic aspirations and will most likely reach those. She is already the best basketball player to ever play at Delaware.

Earlier I applauded her for making a major life decision even when it was very difficult. I still applaud her. If this was nearly any other athlete, no one would care and she could make these decisions willy nilly. Sure they would be hard decisions, but at least they don't have to deal with ESPN when they make them.

What I like about this story coming full circle is that it speaks to following your heart. She followed her heart away from UConn to Delaware. It brought her away from basketball, but then back to the sport she loves. The point is, it gave her some time to clear her head and figure out what she really wants in life.

Sometimes things only really make sense when you are able to step away. I hope nothing but the best for her and her future. I am still impressed by her maturity and her strength in making difficult decisions. Hopefully, there won't need to be any more big decisions but if there are, I am sure she will handle them well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think she's soft.

Whale Cancer said...

We will see now that she has dedicated herself again. I think she will be dominate.