Sunday, July 20, 2008

January 2004 Redux

I was looking through old files on my computer and found this poem (supposed to be a song evidently) that was last updated on January 5, 2004. I wrote a lot of shitty poetry type things .. most of them so terrible I should probably destroy them, but this one is just ridiculous. I am a strange person now .. I was really strange then. I vaguely remember writing this and I believe my inspiration was either Stephen Lynch or Otis Lee Crenshaw. Either way ... it made me laugh when I read it, though not how it was supposed to I am sure.

"What Did I Know"
Girl, I thought I loved you
But what did I know?
If I knew what I know now
I wouldn’t have said hello
Woke up this morning
And I knew you’d soon be gone
If I knew what I know now
It wouldn’t have taken so long

But I thought you were
The only girl for me
You were a grand woman
But I know it will never be
That’s the last time
That I get played like the fool
Next time, it’ll be different
I won’t lose my cool

I thought I loved you
But what did I know
I knew it was late,
You were perfect and ready to go
I thought I loved you
But what did I know?
I don’t even know your name
In the morning’s soft glow

Woke up got out of bed
And I glanced at my watch
I looked over at you
And instead saw Sasquatch
You are grand alright
Just like an open piano
You look like a racehorse
Just finishing a furlough

I thought I loved you
But I see now that’s not right
You were so lovely
Until I saw you in the light
My wingman’s fired, he’s gone
And you! Get out of my life
What do you mean? Seventeen
Years you’ve been my wife?

I guess I love you
But what do I know?
I’m not quite sober enough
To escape out the window
So now you’re beating me
And cursing me with all your might
And looking at you I realize
I hope I die in this fight

No comments: