Tuesday, July 22, 2008

There is just something about them...

Them being soccer socks ... or any use of knee high or nearly knee high socks. I love 'em. I love them most when they are worn NOT playing soccer actually.

My love affair with high socks started early on when playing soccer and baseball. I bucked the growing trend of wearing long baseball pants that went to your shoes in favor of the old style with stirrups underneath... ok not real stirrups, but the socks that looked like they had stirrups on them. That was actually better. However, my wearing of high socks was limited to normal wear. It was common to do this.

In seventh grade that changed. In fifth grade my grade school basketball team won the 5th-6th grade A Team city championship. Seventh grade saw us reassembled, with only a minor bench change or two, in hopes of winning the 7th-8th grade A Team city championship. We were confident. We were bold. We thought it would be awesome to wear soccer socks. Our coach okayed it and the entire team bought into the concept. We steamrolled through the league and Christmas tourney season with one loss (our star player could not make a game). Our coach took away the socks for the playoffs and we struggled, but made the finals. Smartly, he gave us back our socks and we gave him another title.

My sophomore year in high school I decided to keep up a mini-tradition amongst my school's cross-country runners and wear soccer socks. I chose a green one for my left leg and a white one for my right (white on right!). I set a huge personal record in the first race with them and wore them every race until I graduated. I then burnt them in a ceremonial bonfire after my last race. I kind of regret that now.

One semester of college basketball I wore soccer socks, pulled to look like floppy socks in tribute to Pete Maravich. Until getting injured and finishing my career I never played better.

When I play ultimate frisbee there is a chance you will catch me in soccer socks if it is not too hot out or if it is rainy and wet. Any race I enter less than a marathon generally gets high sock treatment.

I love the way they feel. I love the way they look on someone. So take a chance in your next athletic achievement. Sport the soccer socks. They are colorful, feel wonderful, are slightly flashy, and amazing. You won't regret it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You already know about my love for the knee high socks. I prefer volleyball over soccer socks (and blue over green :) because the material is more conducive to me sliding all over the court which minimizes the extent of my floor burns. Whatever your choice though, tall socks is the way to go! Great pick Chris :)

Mike said...

My senior year of high school was the first and only time in my life I ever wore my baseball pants down, and it was solely because it was a coach's rule.

We were informed of the indefensibly ridiculous rule before the season started, but this was so important to me that I thought I'd still see if I could get away with it. The result was me being yelled at during the first warm-up sprint of the first practice with a first-year head coach.

You couple this with the fact that I was sick during number selection day and didn't get to wear #5 for the first time since I was about 8, and you have the worst season of my life.

High socks are awesome.