Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sshhhhh..... private jet's about to land, the women fall out when I let 'em touch my hand

Sometimes I speak before I think. Sometimes I can be a jackass. When those powers combine, I am Captain Foot in Mouth.

Sidenote: Captain Planet... best superhero with a green mullet, barely edging out Redneck Hulk.

This is a short but sweet story from high school. And by sweet I mean, I'm insensitive.

So a bunch of my female friends were looking at pictures from prom. They were doing the normal girly stuff of "Awww Blah Blah Blah is sooo cute" (I don't know if it is the same Blah Blah Blah that Biz Markie sang about).

I decided to to see if one of these random people (who I didn't know) was actually looking so cute in the pictures. What I saw: normal looking girl, not a knock out, but if a friend was dating her you wouldn't laugh. However, her hair style looked slightly askew and unnatural. What I said: "How can she be cute with that rat's nest on her head?" What I should have said: "She does look cute".

That "rat's nest" was actually a wig. The girl had cancer and had lost her hair to the chemotherapy. I was informed of this by a series of grunts, clicks, stares, and hits to the arm. No one smiled. I realized my error and was told the cancer back story in English. I felt terrible.

From this story I learned... absolutely nothing. Well, in theory I learned to not make fun of people but I still make mean comments I don't even mean if I think they would be funny. I still occasionally put my foot in my mouth. I am awkward.

No comments: