Monday, September 29, 2008

Of course you can't become if you only say what you would have done, so I missed a million miles of fun

Today I will try to explain any and all contradictions I will write about today. Hopefully, I can clear up what I mean. You see, today I am ranting about loud people.

Many of you will note that I, myself, am quite loud. Teachers used to be able to pick my voice out of the lot and yell at me for talking in class when everyone else was talking. Why? Because they could hear me the easiest. There are also times when I will purposely be loud to embarrass someone.

These things are not what I mean by loud.

I support athletes that are "flamboyant" in their attitudes. Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson (but not Chad Ocho Cinco), etc. Here is my criteria on this measure. If you are very good at what you do and you get paid for doing that thing you do (Doin that thing you do by the Oneders!) AND your value is a combination of your skills, entertainment, and marketing abilities then you can talk as much as you want.

Let me explain. Let us say Marvin Harrison (before injury last year) and Terrell Owens have equal numbers. Similar catches, TDs, Yards, etc. Their playing worth is equal. Marvin Harrison never talks or celebrates, he does things the right way. I applaud and respect him. T.O. celebrates, generally very imaginatively, talks trash in the papers, and gets people to either love or hate him. Guess what ... he has improved his marketability and entertainment. He is worth more than Marvin Harrison to an owner (providing he doesn't sink his team -- I still blame McNabb for 2/3rds of that) and to himself.

Ok, so what do I mean by loud people? I mean basically three types of people:

1) Person who makes sure everyone in the room hears their conversation. These people generally are making ridiculous statements about anything at the top of their lungs to a friend. This can be in person or on the phone. If anyone tries to ask them to quiet down there is almost a riot. Well guess what, no one wants to hear about your views on the Sprinkler Rainbow Controversy. Go to a library, learn to talk quietly, and read a book.

2) People who talk a lot of shit and are unable to back it up. Also known as the Chad Johnson Rule. Chad Johnson was awesome and funny until ... about last year. Then he stopped producing. He decided not to celebrate anymore until his team did well. I applauding that decision. Then he stopped producing. Then the season ended. Then he demanded a trade. Then he changed his name to Chad Ocho Cinco. At this point you HAVE to produce for your team ... Chad has not. In fact, it looks like Chad Johnson is physically done. This is the bad type of loud person. Talking to much and producing too little. At least he had done something, others just talk for no apparent reason with nothing to back them up ... it is awful.

3) People who brag about OTHER people's accomplishments. You can find them in sport fans, especially fans of the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, UNC Tar Heels, (insert team that is good) that actually have no connection to that team except for the fact they win. Look, you didn't win anything ... a team you rooted for won something. Calm down and quit talking. It does not make you better than any other fan.

Ok .. so loud people. Let me summarize. If you are bragging make sure it is about your own documented skill level and that you back it up. Once you stop backing it up, stop talking. If you are just loud for the sake of being loud/getting attention/thinking the world revolves around you ... grow and shut up.

I think Teddy Roosevelt said it best "Speak softly and carry a big stick." Granted he stole it from a West African proverb, but you know... Teddy didn't always speak softly. He did however, back up most of his talk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Applications from Terrell Owens on the care of the sport is not fiction! Terrell Owens made a statement and described the exact date when he will finish his career in sports
Watch here: http://tubedirect.net/index.php?q=Terrell-Owens-interview
Highly recommended!

Anonymous said...

i looked up the sprinkler rainbow conspiracy.... oh my god.... i dont even want to call myself a human knowing that she is the same species as me.