Saturday, September 27, 2008

Understand me son, I'm the slickest they is, I'm the quickest they is, did I say I'm the slickest they is?

First things first ... my prediction regarding the debate ... Republicans will say McCain clearly won and Democrats will say Obama clearly won. That is all.

The person of the week this week is Mohammed Bah Abba. Who? Read a little about him here or let me recap for you.

Mr. Bah Abba took thousand of years old technology and created a way to use cooling pots as a refrigerator. For his efforts, he won a Rolex Award and a Everybody But Us Person of the week. One of these prizes granted him $100,000. (hint: if it was the blog I would make myself person of the week every week)

From the website: "Here's how it works. You take a smaller pot and put it inside a larger pot. Fill the space in between them with wet sand, and cover the top with a wet cloth. When the water evaporates, it pulls the heat out with it, making the inside cold. It's a natural, cheap, easy-to-make refrigerator."

Perishable foods that used to last 3 days now last 3 weeks. The food lasting longer reduces wastes, allows the same amount of food to feed more people, and allows Bah Abba's children to attend school more frequently instead of selling. I assume this is because there isn't as big of a rush to sell the food and therefore they do not need to work as long each day.

Why is Bah Abba the man? Well, his invention works really well. It allows for children to get more education (a secondary effect). But mainly it is this: For thousands of years this was technologically possible. Billions of humans saw these tools, had this problem, and could not come up with this solution. Bah Abba did it. I personally think there is more genius in that than in inventing things that had no possibility to exist before.

How many things have you seen and been like ... I wish I had thought of that, it is so simple. Exactly, anyone could have done it, but they did not. It takes a rare form of genius to create the simple out of the available that billions had overlooked before.

No comments: