Monday, September 1, 2008

Suck it in suck it in suck it in if you're Rin Tin Tin or Anne Boleyn

I just got back from a friend's wedding. Which brings me to my next point. I hate PDA. Weddings are the only place I feel like it is ok for two individuals to flaunt their relationship in front of a group of people. The wedding couple can kiss, hug, hold hands, and basically do whatever they want in front of loved ones and friends. Other couples in the audience can get wrapped up in the moment and do a similar, toned down version of the couples displays of affection. This seems normal to me.

However, in any other public square ... refrain. I don't want to see you make out with your significant other. I really don't. Obsessive hugging or touching implies that you are insecure and want the world to know that your loved one is "taken". And, I understand it is cute when you see a couple hold hands in public. However, the cutest lies in the relative spontaneity of the touch and the fact that it is not constant throughout the evening.

I am not heartless. The occasional hand hold or a hug upon greeting or exiting can be fine. However, when I look at a couple I do not want to think to myself "Jesus, those two really want me to know they are dating." I would rather look at a couple and say "Wow, they look like they really enjoy being with each other." I always find it nice when you see two people together and only once someone tells you that they are dating do you realize that you should have known all along. They are more subtle, more mature in how they express their love. They have moved past the ... me grope girl prove guys she mine ... level of relationship.

And yes, this may be directed to the obnoxious couple that was making out on the street corner last night. Yes ... you two. Stop it. Your relationship is not a street performance. If it were I would have told you to step up your act a little .. maybe add a little juggling ... or a monkey on a unicycle. Or just be this awesome (site is for street performers, one of whom I know ... nothing scandalous related to PDA performances).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this post about 5 lines into it. Half way through I was convinced you telepathically jacked this monologue from my own head. When you mentioned 'street performing ' I became angry that horny people may be stealing my thunder. After a roller coaster of emotions I almost peed in my pants when I read the Acroentertainment shot out. Holla'.

Whale Cancer said...

This may be the best comment on here yet haha